OA Library

The excavation of a medieval manor house of the bishops of Winchester at Mount House, Witney, Oxfordshire Oxford Archaeology Thames Valley Landscapes Monograph 13

Allen, Tim and Hiller, Jonathan and Durham, Brian and Allen, Leigh and Ayres, Kathy and Blair, John and Cropper, Cecily and Crossley, Alan and David, Andrew and Duncan, Deborah and Eaves, Ian and Ellis, Blanche and Henig, Martin and Horsley, Tim and Keevil, Cathy and MacGregor, Arthur and Mayhew, Nicholas and Meats, Chris and Morgan, Graham and Ottaway, Patrick and Powell, Philip and Robinson, Mark and Serjeantson, Dale and Tite, Mike and Page, Wendy and Read, Rob and Goller, Rob and Patton, Amanda and Cheshire, Steve (2002) The excavation of a medieval manor house of the bishops of Winchester at Mount House, Witney, Oxfordshire Oxford Archaeology Thames Valley Landscapes Monograph 13. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit, Oxford.

[img] PDF
Cover.pdf

3MB
[img] PDF
Title page and frontispiece and colophon.pdf

83kB
[img] PDF
Contents, Figures, Plates & Tables.pdf

1MB
[img] PDF
Summary, translation, Acknowledgements, Structure of the report.pdf

1MB
[img] PDF
Chapter 1 Introduction.pdf

10MB
[img] PDF
Chapter 2 The Excavations.pdf

126MB
[img] PDF
Chapter 3 The Finds.pdf

5MB
[img] PDF
Chapter 4 The Environmental Evidence.pdf

2MB
[img] PDF
Chapter 5 Survey Information on the Site and the Adjacent Church.pdf

10MB
[img] PDF
Chapter 6 Documentary Evidence.pdf

12MB
[img] PDF
Chapter 7 Discussion.pdf

8MB
[img] PDF
Chapter 8 The Manor in Context.pdf

1MB
[img] PDF
Primary Sources Consulted Maps and Drawings.pdf

74kB
[img] PDF
Bibliography.pdf

984kB
[img] PDF
Index.pdf

1MB

Abstract

"In the modem house are still to be seen massive foundations, narrow windows, and remnants of arches, shewing that a larger edifice once stood upon the spot." When the Revd. Giles wrote this in 1852, the palace of the Bishops of Winchester was but a distant memory. So it remained until 1984, when in advance of development, excavations by Oxford Archaeological Unit uncovered the spectacular remains of the medieval palace, including a curtain wall, solar tower, a chapel, a garderobe block and other domestic ranges. In the early 12th Century bishops were as politically powerful as any noble, and the buildings at Witney reflect that power, though developing their own distinctive character. Modified both for comfort and defence in the mid-late 12th century, expanded in the 13th century and strengthened in the 14th century, the development of the palace reflected the political and economic fortunes of the Church and the area itself. The combination of a detailed documentary history and remarkably well preserved remains have meant that the story of one of the earliest and most substantial Norman episcopal residences in the country has been vividly brought to life in this volume

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:5888
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:26 Nov 2020 12:24
Last Modified:26 Nov 2020 12:24

Repository Staff Only: item control page