OA Library

Hinchingbrooke School, Huntingdon: an archaeological evaluation

Hatton, Andrew (1998) Hinchingbrooke School, Huntingdon: an archaeological evaluation. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
CCCAFU_reportB25.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

1MB

Abstract

On the 7th of April 1998 two trenches were mechanically excavated within the grounds of Hinchingbrooke School (TL 236 715), prior to the construction of the 'Pepys Building' and a new 'Administration Block'. The work was carried out by members of the Archaeological Field Unit of Cambridgeshire County Council, at a very short notice because of a late enforcement of an archaeological condition on the planning consent. The present works therefore consisted of a rapid evaluation of the two building sites. Proximity of the historic building of Hinchingbrooke House and its associated garden landscaping features required an archaeological evaluation to assess the potential importance of these two areas. However, the lack of archaeological evidence from both trenches suggests the activity in the form of ancillary buildings was confined to the immediate area around the church, which can still be identified as part of Hinchingbrooke House.

Item Type:Client Report
Uncontrolled Keywords:Hinchingbrooke, hinchingbrooke, Hinchingbrooke House, hinchingbrooke house, Evaluation, evaluation, archaeological evaluation, Benedictine Nunnery, benedictine nunnery, Cambridgeshire, cambridgeshire, Huntingdon, huntingdon, B25, b25, report b25, Report b25, report B25, Report B25, CCCAFU report B25
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:5143
Deposited By: Archives
Deposited On:06 Jan 2020 14:27
Last Modified:06 Jan 2020 15:04

Repository Staff Only: item control page