OA Library

Cathedral Village, Astley Gate, Blackburn Lancashire. Building Assessment.

Elsworth, Dan (2005) Cathedral Village, Astley Gate, Blackburn Lancashire. Building Assessment. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
completereport.pdf

13MB

Abstract

Following a proposal by Ellis Hillman Partnership to redevelop a number of properties along Astley Gate in Blackburn (centred on SD 682 280) a programme of archaeological work was requested by the Specialist Advisor (Archaeology) at Lancashire County Council. This comprised a rapid desk-based assessment and an assessment of the standing buildings. The desk-based assessment revealed that the area developed before c1795, during a period of rapid growth in Blackburn. Most of the buildings within the study area (six in total) were commercial in nature; buildings 1, 2 and 3 were shops while two (Buildings 4 and 5) were well-established public houses. Building 6 was probably an outbuilding associated with buildings facing onto Fleming Square. They were part of an important commercial district in the centre of Blackburn that continued to develop with the construction of Fleming Square in 1822. All of the buildings within the study area have retained some of their historic character, although it is evident that most have been extensively altered or even rebuilt. Recommendations for additional recording prior to the development of the area were made, including more detailed recording of the standing buildings and evaluation for below-ground remains. Previous work in the area has revealed some potential for buried remains, but has also identified the presence of cellars in the general area.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Lancashire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:5107
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:01 Aug 2019 09:50
Last Modified:01 Aug 2019 09:50

Repository Staff Only: item control page