OA Library

St Owald's CE Parish Church, Ravenstonedale, Cumbria.Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment, Visual Inspection and Watching Brief.

Gajos, Hannah and Elsworth, Dan (2005) St Owald's CE Parish Church, Ravenstonedale, Cumbria.Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment, Visual Inspection and Watching Brief. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
Complete Report.pdf

2MB

Abstract

IWA Architects and St Oswald’s Parochial Church Council requested Oxford Archaeology North to conduct an archaeological building investigation of St Oswald’s Parish Church, Ravenstonedale, Cumbria (NY 6220 0840), prior to extensive renovations being carried out at the site. The work comprised a desk-based assessment and visual inspection, and was carried out in July 2004. The desk based assessment found that the church originally belonged to Watton Priory in Yorkshire, and was maintained by Gilbertine monks, who had a constant presence in the area, and a structure to the north of the church. The church was rebuilt between 1738-1744 due to extensive disrepair. There are few visible remains of the early church, with the south porch and a corbel with a wolf’s head dating from c1200. The chancel arch also dates to the thirteenth century. The details around the porches appear to date to the seventeenth century, as do the belfry windows. The majority of the present church was built in the Georgian period, although it is probable that it was built along similar lines to the original church.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cumbria
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4856
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:30 May 2019 08:48
Last Modified:30 May 2019 08:48

Repository Staff Only: item control page