OA Library

St Chad's Church, Poulton-Le-Fylde, Lancashire. Archaeological Watching Brief.

Blythe, Kathryn (2005) St Chad's Church, Poulton-Le-Fylde, Lancashire. Archaeological Watching Brief. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
completereport.pdf

1MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) was commissioned by Cassidy Ashton, acting on behalf of St Chad’s Church, Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire (NGR SD 34785 39447) to undertake an archaeological watching brief at the church during groundworks for a single storey extension for a kitchen, disabled wc and storage facility (planning application reference 02/04/0434). The work was carried out to fulfil a planning condition on advice from the Lancashire County Archaeology Service (LCAS), and was undertaken during January, February and April 2005. The first mention of the church at Poulton-le-Fylde is from 1094, although the present day church is largely an eighteenth century re-build of earlier church buildings. The settlement of Poulton-le-Fylde is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Polton. However, it is likely that a settlement existed prior to this, as St Chad, to whom the church is dedicated, was a Mercian saint. Roman coins have been found in the graveyard and further afield within Poulton-le-Fylde, indicating that there was activity during this period within the area. Groundworks in the churchyard could therefore impact upon earlier structures or features.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Lancashire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:4726
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:04 Apr 2019 09:21
Last Modified:04 Apr 2019 09:21

Repository Staff Only: item control page