OA Library

The Three Mariners Public House, Bridge Lane, Lancaster, Lancashire. Archaeological Watching Brief.

Clarke, Jason (2005) The Three Mariners Public House, Bridge Lane, Lancaster, Lancashire. Archaeological Watching Brief. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
completereport.pdf

1MB

Abstract

Following a request from Tyler Designs on behalf of Mitchell’s of Lancaster, Oxford Archaeology North undertook an archaeological watching brief during the excavation of a foundation trench for a refuse bin storage yard at the Three Mariners public house, Bridge Lane, Lancaster, Lancashire, SD 476 619. The watching brief was undertaken on the 2nd March 2005, within an area close to previous archaeological works at the site of the former Pye’s warehouse and Damside Street (OA North 2003). On the basis of previous archaeological interventions in the area, there was the possibility of encountering archaeological evidence for eighteenth century land reclamation along with industrial and warehouse development, but also of waterside activity dating to the Roman period. Archaeological features observed within the 0.2m deep trench during the watching brief at the Three Mariners site included a demolished wall; the scar for this wall could be seen on the side of the main building and is probably a former garden wall. Evidence for a make-up layer was also observed, with the deposit producing bricks and stone, some post-medieval pottery, and animal bone.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Lancashire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:4704
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:14 Mar 2019 13:16
Last Modified:14 Mar 2019 13:16

Repository Staff Only: item control page