OA Library

The Rector's Garden Lincoln College, Oxford. Archaeological Watching Brief.

Bingham, Annie and Hiller, Jon The Rector's Garden Lincoln College, Oxford. Archaeological Watching Brief. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
OXLCRG 00.pdf

7MB

Abstract

In March 2000, the Oxford Archaeological Unit was commissioned by Lincoln College to undertake a watching brief within the college grounds during the excavation of trench runs for new heating and service ducts. The excavation established the presence of parts of two walls forming a probable building aligned east-west immediately south of the college chapel. The exact date of construction of the building was not established, though the walls were set within deposits containing a range of post0medieval material. Part of a third wall on a NNE-SSW alignment corresponds with that of a building depicted on Taylor’s 1750 map of Oxford. Pottery and glass from associated deposits was of post-medieval date. No evidence of medieval buildings or occupation was recovered from the service trenches. Deposits overlying the demolished structures indicate that the site was levelled in the 19th century in preparation for the gardens that exist on the site today.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:3910
Deposited By: Cehak
Deposited On:20 Mar 2020 11:30
Last Modified:20 Mar 2020 11:30

Repository Staff Only: item control page