OA Library

Gawthorpe Hall, Padiham, Lancashire - Finds Report

Howard-Davis, Chris (2016) Gawthorpe Hall, Padiham, Lancashire - Finds Report. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
L10998_GawthorpeFinds_FullRep.pdf

430kB

Abstract

The National Trust submitted a large assemblage of unwashed and unsorted finds in July 2016, mainly ceramic and glass vessels, for analysis by Oxford Archaeology North. Identified in the course of the investigation of a recently uncovered waterside midden dump just north-east of Gawthorpe Hall, Padiham, Lancashire (SD 80567 33871), they were found, in terms of the history of the Hall, to be of relatively late date, the pottery itself coming largely from the second half of the nineteenth century, but quite possibly deposited in the middle of the twentieth century. They were, perhaps, breakages dumped after a sale of the house contents in 1946, or around the time that Charles Kay-Shuttleworth vacated the hall in 1953, or even when the hall was gifted to the National Trust, in 1970. Many of the vessels bear the monogram of JKS (James Kay-Shuttleworth), who is known to have been resident at the hall until 1872, leaving when it was inherited by his son, Ughtred.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Lancashire
ID Code:3089
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:30 Nov 2016 09:02
Last Modified:17 Oct 2019 10:17

Repository Staff Only: item control page