OA Library

Hole House Mill, Kenyon Street, Blackburn, Lancs - Building Investigation

Wild, Chris (2015) Hole House Mill, Kenyon Street, Blackburn, Lancs - Building Investigation. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Hole House Mill, Blackburn_Final Archaeological Report.pdf

10MB

Abstract

Blackburn with Darwen Council has granted planning permission (Application No 10/14/1138) for the demolition of Hole House Mill on Kenyon Street in the Audley area of Blackburn, Lancashire (centred at NGR 370145 428570). In order to secure archaeological interests, however, Blackburn with Darwen Council recommended that an appropriate programme of archaeological investigation of the mill was undertaken in advance of demolition. Following consultation with the Lancashire County Archaeology Service (LCAS), it was recommended that an archaeological building investigation commensurate with an English Heritage Level 2/3-type survey should be carried out. The erection of Hole House Mill as a purpose-built cotton spinning mill commenced in 1860, although the building was not completed until the mid-1860s due to the Cotton Famine. The spinning block was completely destroyed by fire in 1879, and the site was remodelled as a weaving mill that remained in production until 1959.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Lancashire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:2463
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:10 Mar 2015 10:35
Last Modified:10 Mar 2015 10:35

Repository Staff Only: item control page