OA Library

Blackburn Station Building, Blackburn- Building Investigation

Wild , Chris (2002) Blackburn Station Building, Blackburn- Building Investigation. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Completerep.pdf

9MB

Abstract

In April and May 2002, Oxford Archaeology North (OAN) undertook an archaeological building investigation for the station building of Blackburn Railway Station, Lancashire (SD 685 279). This work was carried out on behalf of the Lancashire Constabulary, and in advance of a conversion of the building to a deployment station. The station building is Grade II Listed. The building investigation involved a rapid search of the pertinent available sources for information pertaining specifically to the station building and its construction. The fabric survey was undertaken to RCHM(E) level III-type standards, and involved the production of first and second floor plans and cross-sections for the station building, based on the existing architect’s plans supplied by the client. A general and detailed oblique photographic survey was also undertaken. As part of the Listed Building Consent the building investigation will be followed by an archaeological watching brief to be undertaken during the dismantling of the staircase. The results of the watching brief will be presented as a separate report. The documentary study established that the earliest station buildings, erected on the site in 1847, had been entirely replaced by a new station in 1885-88. The station building is of this period, and the fabric survey identified that it survived largely intact, with few major alterations. Whilst essentially functional in its construction, many of the internal features were ornate; these included moulded jambs to sash windows and doors, and cornices to the false ceilings on the second floor.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Lancashire
ID Code:2439
Deposited By: Sandra Bonsall
Deposited On:16 Feb 2015 09:01
Last Modified:16 Feb 2015 09:01

Repository Staff Only: item control page