OA Library

Ivy House Mills, Commercial Road, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent - Watching Brief Final Report

Phelps, Andy (2014) Ivy House Mills, Commercial Road, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent - Watching Brief Final Report. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Ivy House Mills, Hanley_Archaeological Watching Brief Final Report.pdf

3MB

Abstract

Seddon Construction Ltd has obtained planning consent for the redevelopment of a c 1.37ha site off Commercial Road in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent (centred on NGR SJ 89085 47274). The development proposals allow for the erection of 62 dwellings, an electrical sub-station and associated infrastructure, which will inevitably necessitate earth-moving works (Planning Application SOT/54550). The south-eastern part of the site was occupied in the nineteenth century by the Ivy House Paper Mills, and the western part by Dresden Mills, which ground flint and bone and produced colours for the pottery industry. By the 1930s, Dresden Mills had fallen into disuse, and its site was subsumed by an expansion of Ivy House Mill. This industrial complex was eventually demolished in 2006-07, and geo-technical investigations carried out subsequently indicated that there was a low potential for buried archaeological remains to survive across the southern part of the site. However, the archaeological potential of the north-eastern part of the site, which was occupied by a row of workers’ housing from at least 1866 to 1937, remained unknown.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Geographical Areas > English Counties > West Midlands
ID Code:2415
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:06 Feb 2015 09:14
Last Modified:30 Aug 2018 09:33

Repository Staff Only: item control page