OA Library

Jubilee Colliery, Shaw, Oldham - Community-led Archaeological Investigation

Wild, Chris (2014) Jubilee Colliery, Shaw, Oldham - Community-led Archaeological Investigation. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
L10748_Jubilee Colliery_FullRep_red.pdf

11MB

Abstract

In June 2014, Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) was commissioned by Groundwork Oldham and Rochdale, to carry out a programme of archaeological investigation of the former Jubilee Colliery near Shaw, Oldham (centred on NGR 394310 410841). The archaeological works involved the delivery of a community-led excavation on the site as part of the ‘Jubilee Colliery: Preserving the Past’ project, a six-month scheme that has been funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The principal aim of the archaeological work was to enable local volunteers to further examine the remains of the colliery that had been subject to an earlier investigation in 2012. Jubilee Colliery was one of the most important collieries in the Oldham Coalfield, supplying coal and coke to many of the cotton mills and factories in the area. The colliery was founded in 1845, when a shaft was sunk into the Mountain Mine, which lies 99m below the surface. Owned originally by the Edge Lane & Dryclough Colliery Company, Jubilee Colliery was bought in 1883 by Platt Brothers & Co Limited of Oldham, one of the largest manufacturers of textile machinery in the world. The Platt Brothers were keen to secure a cheap source of coke for their iron works in Oldham, where some 500 tons per week were being used, and the coal gained from the Mountain Mine at Jubilee was ideal for producing coke. Many of the buildings were demolished when the colliery closed in 1932, and the abandoned site was allowed to be reclaimed by nature. It is currently managed as a local nature reserve by Groundwork Oldham and Rochdale, and is colonised by a diverse range of flora that thrives amongst the remains of the colliery structures. These remains include part of a double bank of coke ovens, the foundations of the winding engine for the downcast shaft, the dynamo house, and a raised mound that marks the site of the boiler house and chimney.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater Manchester
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:2401
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:30 Jan 2015 09:16
Last Modified:30 Jan 2015 09:16

Repository Staff Only: item control page