OA Library

Wilburn Street Basin, Ordsall Lane, Salford - Desk-based Assessment

Miller, Ian (2014) Wilburn Street Basin, Ordsall Lane, Salford - Desk-based Assessment. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Wilburn Street Basin_Arcaheological Assessment.pdf

11MB

Abstract

Renaker has submitted a planning application (Ref: 14/64851/FUL) for the redevelopment of land situated off Wilburn Street in Salford (centred on NGR 382655 397880). The development proposals allow for the erection of 491 dwellings in a total of four buildings ranging in height from eight to 21 storeys, with space for commercial and retail purposes and associated car parking and landscaping. In order to facilitate the planning process, Renaker commissioned Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) to carry out an archaeological desk-based of the Site Area to provide an informed basis regarding the significance of any buried archaeological remains within the site. This comprised a desk-based study, coupled with archaeological monitoring during the excavation of a small number of geo-technical trial pits. In total, 49 heritage assets have been identified in the wider study area, of which eight lie within the boundary of the Site Area. With the exception of Woden’s Ford across the River Irwell, all of the sites identified within the study area derived from the industrial development of Salford during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In particular, the study area became a focus for the textile-finishing industry, with numerous dye works becoming established along the banks of the River Irwell. Whilst most of these works were situated on the Manchester side of the river, the footprint of part of the Oldfield Dye Works lies within the boundary of the Site Area. This was established in the late eighteenth century by John Ashworth, who resided in a large villa situated immediately beyond the north-western corner of the Site Area. The dye works appears to have fallen into disuse during the 1820s, and the buildings had been demolished by 1831. The Site Area was occupied during the second half of the nineteenth century by terraces of double-depth houses along Trafalgar Square and Wilburn Street, together with the steam-power plant for a large cotton mill. In 1864, Wilburn Street Basin was built in the centre of the Site Area and was used originally as a mooring point for boats plying the Mersey Irwell Navigation.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater Manchester
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:2398
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:29 Jan 2015 11:35
Last Modified:17 Jan 2019 10:02

Repository Staff Only: item control page