OA Library

Kingsway Baths and Bridge Houses, Lancaster- Building Investigation

Elsworth, Dan (2005) Kingsway Baths and Bridge Houses, Lancaster- Building Investigation. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Complete Report.pdf

16MB

Abstract

Prior to the redevelopment of the site of the former Kingsway Baths and Bridge Houses, Parliament Street, Lancaster (SD 4810 6225) a programme of archaeological recording was requested by the Lancashire County Archaeological Service. This was to comprise of a Level III-type survey of the standing buildings, accompanied by background research into the site, which would enhance an earlier study undertaken in 1999. The background research revealed that the Bridge Houses were built as part of the construction of the New Bridge (now Skerton Bridge) over the River Lune. They are thought to have been built by the architect Thomas Harrison in c1787, although there is only circumstantial evidence for this, and were used as a tollhouse and inn from the end of the eighteenth century to the middle of the nineteenth. After this point they were used primarily as private houses for wealthy local families until the beginning of the twentieth century. During the early twentieth century increased road traffic and the construction of a neighbouring railway made the area less popular and by the later part of the twentieth century the Bridge Houses were in a poor condition. Ironically it was one of the Bridge Houses residents, Henry Warbrick, the mayor of Lancaster,who was largely responsible for the construction of the Kingsway Baths and associated bus depot in 1938.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Lancashire
ID Code:2319
Deposited By: Sandra Bonsall
Deposited On:14 Jan 2015 11:24
Last Modified:14 Jan 2015 11:24

Repository Staff Only: item control page