OA Library

The Dye House, Hallthwaites, Millom, Cumbria- Building Investigation

Taylor, Karl (2005) The Dye House, Hallthwaites, Millom, Cumbria- Building Investigation. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
completereport.pdf

5MB

Abstract

This report outlines the results of an archaeological building investigation, which was carried out to RCHME (1996) Level III standard at The Dye House, Hallthwaites, Millom, Cumbria (SD 1820 8539). The Dye House is thought to be one of the earliest woollen manufacturing sites in the area and, as such, contributes much to the understanding of the industrial archaeology of the Lake District. Information gathered during the desk-based assessment suggested that the original building had been built between 1771 and 1829, although there was little information specifically about the Dye House dating to before the late nineteenth century, by which time it was owned and run by the Moore family. The building investigation revealed that although the Dye House is in an advanced state of disrepair and much of the fabric has already collapsed, several periods of development could be identified. The complex is constructed from differing materials some of which is local (mainly unworked) stone and river cobbles, which was presumably the cheapest and most easily available material. Parts of the complex are constructed from better quality split stone of typical South Lakeland tradition. The results of the building investigation suggested that there were six principal phases of activity, the earliest of which comprised only a small building, which was expanded throughout the nineteenth century. As some areas (mainly the floors) are obscured by collapsed wall debris further investigation, possibly in the form of a watching brief, is recommended prior to any development of the complex taking place.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cumbria
ID Code:2292
Deposited By: Sandra Bonsall
Deposited On:09 Jan 2015 12:09
Last Modified:09 Jan 2015 12:09

Repository Staff Only: item control page