OA Library

Larch Mill, Bleasdale Street, Royton, Greater Manchester - Evaluation

Phelps, Andy (2014) Larch Mill, Bleasdale Street, Royton, Greater Manchester - Evaluation. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
L10754_LarchMill_FullRep.pdf

6MB

Abstract

In June 2014, Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) were commissioned by CgMs Consulting, acting on behalf of Morris Homes Limited, to carry out a programme of archaeological evaluation at the former Shiloh Healthcare Warehouse on Bleasdale Street, Royton (centred on SD 91948 08155). The evaluation was required to satisfy a condition attached to planning consent for a proposed redevelopment of the site (Planning Reference PA/334685/13). Four evaluation trenches were placed across the proposed development site. These were targeted on the footprint of the steam-power plant associated with the former Larch Mill. The mill, known originally as Highfield Mill, was erected in 1876-7 to the designs of Edward Potts, an eminent local mill architect. The mill was eventually re-named Larch Mill in 1932, when the production processes it housed were changed from the spinning of fine cotton yarn to condenser spinning. The mill closed in 1962, and was used subsequently as a food warehouse and distribution centre. It was ultimately demolished in 1989.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater Manchester
ID Code:2161
Deposited By: Watson
Deposited On:05 Dec 2014 12:23
Last Modified:05 Dec 2014 12:23

Repository Staff Only: item control page