OA Library

Ashton Park, Preston, Lancashire: Rapid Desk-Based Research, Topographic Survey and Watching Brief Report

Bullock, Vicky and Schofield, Peter (2010) Ashton Park, Preston, Lancashire: Rapid Desk-Based Research, Topographic Survey and Watching Brief Report. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Submitted)

[img]
Preview
PDF
L10274_AshtonParkFullReport.pdf

3MB

Abstract

Preston City Council proposed the construction of an Adizone (a recreational area) in Ashton Park, Lancashire, Lancashire (SD 51250 30450). The provision of rapid deskbased research, archaeological survey and watching brief was a condition of planning permission and a verbal brief for recording the landscape was provided by Doug Moir of Lancashire County Council Archaeology Section. Subsequently, Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) were commissioned to undertake the programme of investigation. A topographical survey took place during on 30th July 2010 followed by a watching brief during groundworks undertaken between 9th-11th August 2010. Ashton Hall was built in 1810 by Thomas Starkie Shuttleworth and a little later in 1820 James Pedder, the son of the founder of Preston's first bank, bought the house. It remained in the Pedder family until 1861, but subsequently had many different owners. Edmund Robert Harris, another of Preston’s most famous names, owned the house between 1861 and 1877. The mansion was sold to ‘English Electric’ at the end of World War One, and then to Preston Town Council in 1937. Preston Council retained the park but sold the mansion on to Lancashire County Council, who, for a number of years ran the house as a care home for the elderly. The house was sold again in the 1990s, and was used as a nursery.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Lancashire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1488
Deposited By: Mr Peter Schofield
Deposited On:12 Feb 2014 13:14
Last Modified:12 Feb 2014 13:14

Repository Staff Only: item control page